Its been a while since Pentax looked like it really belonged up there with Nikon and Canon. Let's hope its back up where it belongs.
- Durable and functional body, smaller than any other in its class
- High-rigidity stainless-steel alloy chassis
- Durable lightweight magnesium-steel alloy housing
- 77 weather / dustproof seals
- Cold-resistant construction as low as -10°C
- Newly designed shutter unit
- 100% field of view viewfinder
- 5.2 images per second continuous shooting
- New DR II (Dust removal) mechanism
- Unique dust-alert system
- 14.6 effective megapixel resolution
- ISO 100 - 6400 range
- High-performance, high-speed PRIME II imaging engine
- New 77-segment multi-pattern metering
- New-generation SR mechanism
- Live View display with Face Recognition AF
- HD movie recording
- New SAFOX VIII+ 11-point wide-frame AF sensor
- Spotbean AF assist
- Custom Image function to easily create desired visual effects
- Hyper Program and manual exposure modes
- Large 3.0-inch wide-view LCD monitor
- Powerful rechargeable battery
- 16 digital filters to add a range of visual effects
- PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software package
Personally, the 100% field of view through the viewfinder is an attractive feature as I hate not seeing the whole picture, literally. The continuous shooting speed of 5.2 images per second is another pro feature to shut about. So far, its looking pretty good. it looks even better with the resolution of 14.6 MP, HD movie mode, IS, 77-segment multi-pattern metering, 11 sensor points (inc nine cross-type ones, more than average) and a large 3.0 inch LCD with 920,000 pixels. Using the Live View function, the LCD can be viewed from @170 degrees vertically and horizontally.
The HD movie mode is 1280 x 720 at 30 frames a second, so not the highest but nefvertheless a very handy and attractive feature to have. Add to that the provision of an input for an external microphone makes it, on paper at least, a very capable replacement for a camcorder.
All in all, a very attractive package. All we need to know now is the price. $1300 for the body is being quoted on US web-sites.
Buy your Pentax camera gear here!