In terms of features, the incorporation of EXPEED 3 is an important step forward, offering as it does, high-speed 16-bit image processing to help deliver smoother gradation and abundant tone and detail. Another feature that will enhance the appeal of the D4 is the addition of two mini-joysticks to the back of the D4. These are used for selecting the AF point, with one being within easy reach of the right hand thumb when the camera is in upright (portrait) orientation.
Another ergonomic feature is the introduction of a small thumb-grip towards the base of the D4, making it feel a little more secure in your hand when shooting upright images.
Another nice touch is that the buttons on the top, back and side of the camera can be illuminated slightly when the camera is in use, making easier to see them when using the camera in low light or the dark.
The D4 is due for release in the UK in February and is available on pre-order for around £4,750 (body only) from various retailers.
- 16.2 megapixel FX-format (full-frame) CMOS sensor with fast channel readout and up to 11 fps consecutive shooting in FX-format.
- 100–12800: extendable up to 204,800 (equivalent) and down to 50 (equivalent). High signal-to-noise ratio and wide dynamic range.
- Multi-area format D-Movie: records Full HD (1080p) movies in FX- and DX-format, as well as in native Full HD (1920x1080) crop. Offers uncompressed full-resolution HDMI output to external devices.
- developed, highly durable Kevlar/carbon fiber-composite shutter unit:standard life cycle rating of 400,000 releases, with a maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 to 30s and flash synchronization at up to 1/250 sec.
- Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point AF system: individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings. Sensitive down to -2 EV (ISO 100, 20°C/68°F).
- EXPEED 3 image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb tonal gradation.
- 8 cm (3.2-in.), 922k-dot LCD monitor with auto brightness control. Anti-reflective with wide color reproduction.
- 3D Color Matrix Metering III: 91k pixel AE AF sensor with full-time face recognition.
- 100% viewfinder coverage and three Crop Modes: 5:4, 1.2x and DX-format. With viewfinder masking.
- Movie frame rates: offers 30p, 25p and 24p and a max recording time of approx. 20 minutes.
- High-fidelity audio control: features a stereo microphone input and an audio out for external headphones, which lets you fine tune audio in isolation both before and during recording. A line input setting for PCM linear recorders is also provided.
- Storage media: two card slots. One for high-speed CF (UDMA 7) cards and one for high-speed, high-capacity XQD card slots.
- Wireless LAN and Ethernet support via optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4 or the newly designed compact Wireless Transmitter WT-5.
You can read more about the D4 at Nikon's site.